Yolo and Solano County officials are hoping they can entice residents into being more environmentally friendly if they sweeten the deal with some cash.
The Yolo-Solano County Air Quality Management District is currently offering a $120 rebate to anyone who trades in a gasoline lawnmower and buys an electric model.
Is that enough to convince you to trade in your lawnmower? Tell us in the comments section below.
“With our $120 rebate, you can get a new electric mower for cheaper than a comparable gas-powered mower,” a press release quoted District Director Mat Ehrhardt as saying. “In addition to that, you won’t need to buy gas to mow your lawn and you’ll smell only fresh-cut grass, not fumes.”
Only certain models of electric mowers are eligible for the rebate, and only 250 rebates are available.
Here are the rules, courtesy of the Air Quality Management District:
1. The new electric lawn mower must be included on Yolo-Solano AQMD’s eligible mower list.
2. The gas-powered mower being recycled must be in working condition and have all liquids drained from it. It must be turned into a participating recycler.
3. You are not guaranteed a rebate until Yolo-Solano AQMD receives, processes and approves your rebate packet. Rebates will be mailed out approximately six weeks after approval.
4. To participate you must obtain a voucher and rebate packet from Yolo-Solano AQMD. You cannot turn in a gas mower without your voucher. You will not be eligible for a rebate without a completed voucher.
5. After receiving a voucher, recycling a gas mower and purchasing an eligible mower, you must return to Yolo-Solano AQMD the following:a. The rebate agreement (in your voucher packet), signed
b. Your completed voucher with a valid recycler sticker
c. Your original receipt for the new eligible mower
YOLO-SOLANO MOWER EXCHANGE
1947 GALILEO CT., SUITE 103
DAVIS, CA 95618
6. You cannot retrieve your gas mower once it is turned in. No exceptions.
7. The new electric mower must be purchased on or after March 4, 2013. You must submit the completed rebate packet by May 15. If you have an official voucher from Yolo-Solano Air Quality and meet the conditions and rules outlined in this document, you will receive the rebate.
8. You may not resell your new mower within 12 months of the purchase date.
Questions? Contact Tom Hall at (530) 757-3657 or firstname.lastname@example.org.