A family of five was enjoying a late Wednesday night BBQ at 703 Bay Street when something went wrong shortly before 11:21 p.m., according to Fire Chief Mike O'Brien of the Suisun City Fire Department. He estimated the fire caused $100,000 worth of damage to the house.
The BBQ was up against the back of the house, and the back of the house caught fire, O'Brien said. The family was able to escape unharmed and firefighters were able to knock down the flames within 15 minutes. However, it took firefighters an hour to chase down burning embers in the house's crawl space, walls, flooring and roof.
One unfortunate part of the episode was damage to personal property that wasn't insured. The family was renting the house and they didn't have renter's insurance.
"One of the things I tell my son and we try to tell everybody (who is renting) is they should have renter's insurance," O'Brien said.
It's unclear where the family is living now.